Monday, February 20, 2006

Jennifer: Humble Beginnings



I post this bag not because it is anything nice to look at, but because it is currently reflective of my life.

In recent months my foundation (which I thought solid) has been rocked a bit. Often times now I feel insecure, that I have nothing to offer and that I have taken big steps backward in my journey with the Lord. I feel like this bag, just beginning.

What I am being shown through much “undoing” of my life (besides a big root of pride) is that I had put my trust and security in many things other than the Lord.

Things like what I knew, and who I knew, and where I had come from. Only to find out that, I do not know much, all people fail and I have really not come very far.

I had forgotten God’s words that say Trust in Me – alone.

I was choosing the “easy road,” following people and resting in the past, instead of relying on my Lord Himself. It takes more faith to follow and trust in His way. A way that is not often smooth or predictable. But the peace and rest that comes… I am finding is worth the revealing of my heart to Him.

So I am thankful for the reminder that my journey with Him is not about a destination or the past. It’s about today and who or what I choose to trust in – and where I put my faith.

I am thankful to be reminded that even good things; knowledge, memorized verses, books read, and people in my life…can all interfere with the relationship that matters most.

I am thankful that God is faithful and if I keep my eyes on Him, He will show me when my trust and faith start wandering.

I am thankful for humble beginnings.

So, there is much work to be done on my bag before it is beautiful and useable, and there is much work for the Lord to do in my life. But I am thankful that He sees me as beautiful and useable today. That is how He sees each one of us, His handiwork, His beautiful creation, already finished.

Our only destination is heaven and our journey begins and ends each day – with His love, mercy, grace and forgiveness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Yay!! You got it figured out and posted!! I'm glad you did, I thought this was a great post. (And there are a whole lot of us who think you're beautiful too. Inside and out!)

Mon Feb 20, 10:53:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks Fran for your sweet words of encouragement!

Mon Feb 20, 04:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger shannon said...

Jennifer! I'm so glad to see your post here. I love the bag, but I love your words even more. I think your humility is one of the most beautiful things about you. Fran's right. :)

Isn't the Lord good to us to shake things up now and then so we clutch Him even tighter? I've learned that the pain that comes with change is nothing compared to the growth it causes to our faith.

Can't wait to see more pictures as the bag progresses!

Mon Feb 20, 06:35:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Loni said...

This looks like a very inspiring blog to visit, and I shall be back!

I just learned of a "Prayer Shawl Ministry" - knitting a shawl for someone, and praying through it as you make it for that person. Can be for a new mom, hurting woman, special friend, someone going through cancer, etc. There's lots of opportunities with it. This is something that can grow (prayer slippers?? prayer hats??? :)

Here's my post on it which gives lots of links:
http://journalingthroughthevalley.blogspot.com/2006/01/prayer-shawl.html

Mon Feb 20, 10:14:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Carol-Ann said...

A friend of mine sent me the link to your blog -- I know I'll be back although I haven't had time at the moment to read all! It looks like you're off to a good start!

Wed Feb 22, 05:10:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous whimsy said...

Knitting and spiritual inspiration. Doesn't get better than that for me!

Thu Mar 16, 05:58:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home