Saturday, May 20, 2006

Sonya: 1st felted project

AFTER BEFORE

Doh! I did it! This is my 1st felted project. It's called the "The Lady Bug" purse. I found it in a book called "Pursenalities". The example is red w/black accents. You can see it on the cover of the book. Well, forget that! I went w/the yarn I had available. WE call it the "pumpkin purse". :-)

Heather, our 9 year old, loves this colorful little fashion accent piece. And let me tell ya...the picture does it NO justice. I love how the felting process covered all my sins/mistakes.

Speaking of mistakes, I made a TON. There are too many to remember. But there is one that was ridiculously huge but I went w/it. Notice the purse has a purl stitch? The directions said to do a stockinette stitch in the round. Well, I DID! But no one told me stockinette in the round is knitting every round. OOPS! So, I went w/my mistake and decided to learn use this lesson as an educational tool for my next stockinette project. BTW, I noticed my mistake after 7 inches of stockinette. Gee....my purse just didn't look like the example picture!

*sigh* I'm having so much fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger shannon said...

I love that you're not afraid to learn on a project. I've had to talk myself into that. Right now I've got one misplaced purl/knit combo on one row of the stockings I'm making, but I didn't notice it until it was waaay down the tube. I figure, no one but me will know.

Of course, now ALL of y'all know. :)

Great job posting, S. :)

Sat May 20, 12:22:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Kari said...

Sonya,
Very cool purse. I'd like to felt something too but just realized it won't work with my "front-loader" washer, right? Glad you are "one of us" now! Can't wait to see more of your finished projects.

Sat May 20, 01:11:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sonya Kaye said...

Kari,
I felted that bag in my front-end loader. I just let it go through the entire cycle at the advice of another experienced knitter. It woiked!!!

Sat May 20, 01:41:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sonya Kaye said...

Shannon~
It wasn't till after I left my first meeting (w/an experienced knitters group) that I noticed my huge mistake. I was SO embarrassed for about 2 minutes. Then I thought, "eh...who cahrzz?"

This same group told me the Amish diliberately make mistakes when they create Afghans to give it that human touch. It was at that moment I remembered my Amish roots. heh...heh...

Ahem...you'll notice I can be a bit Amish in my spelling as well. :-)

Sat May 20, 01:50:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home