Monday, June 05, 2006

Fran: Hats, hats, hats...

I figured I should post some pictures of the hats I've been working on! The one Gracie is wearing is a hat I didn't intend to make! I got the Denise Knitting Needle kit for my birthday and was dying to try it out. So, I grabbed the first cheap yarn I could and cast on. I got about an inch into it when I decided a blue peeking out of my chaotic yarn basket would go great with that bright melon color so I threw some of that in there. Then I decided I wanted to make a checkered look to it so that's what I did! By this time I was committed and having fun so I went with it! (Of course, I didn't get much else done today but that's okay! lol)


This other picture is of a few of the other hats I've been working on. It will be hard to give them away!














One more new one! Arielle and Gracie are modeling the same hat. I made some mistakes that you fortunately can't see in the picture (quit looking!) but it turned out cute anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kari Kelly said...

Fran, These are SO cute but every one of these SO different. Where do you get your patterns? Send me a link, please?

Tue Jun 06, 09:32:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Kari Kelly said...

Fran, I didn't see the ear flap hats when I posted the first time. Read my post to Sonya and hear about my big whoops! LOL Where did you get this pattern? I like the continuity of the flaps. It looks like all one piece rather than stitching the flaps on later. That's what Jeff wants. He even drew me a picture of the pattern. Getting picking, wouldn't you say? LOL

Fri Jun 09, 09:34:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Fran said...

I have a pattern that came in a kit that Arielle got for Christmas. (Guess who has used it most!) I will bring it for you to see (as well as the ribbed one). The flaps aren't sewn on later, they are worked into the brim (which would be where my mistakes are!) The other hats I've done are roll brim but I added a stripe to one and the stripes and checkers to another. I didn't have a pattern for that part, I was just playing.

Fri Jun 09, 03:44:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Fran said...

...and I should have added ears! The girls liked the "cat hat" as they call it.

Fri Jun 09, 03:45:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Kari Kelly said...

Jeff definitely wants it to look like one piece. That part scares me. Do you have to pick up stitches? I've never done that. Never a better time to try something new than on your kid's stuff, right? Ha Ha

Fri Jun 09, 04:26:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Fran said...

No picking up stitches (although that's actually really easy!) You knit the flaps first but you keep the stitches live on a holder or spare needle. Then, when you start the body of the hat you knit some onto your circular, then you transfer one of the flaps off the holder and onto the circular. You knit some more stitches then put the other one on too, knit some more, join and off you go. Sounds so easy doesn't it? Is that why one of my flaps is backwards? lol My next one will be less Amish! (I hope!)

Fri Jun 09, 09:28:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home