Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Kari: fingerless gloves


I did it! I finished the other glove. These were supposed to be for my sister's birthday in August but the one-sock/glove-syndrome kicked in and here it is...........almost December. Well, she'll appreciate them more now that the weather has turned if I can only get them over to her in this weather. LOL

Jaimey is modeling them for me so they appear a bit big but they will be just right for my sister's hands.

I learned a lot from working on this project. Knitting with metal size one needles with black yarn is very trying. Lots of light and my reading glasses were a must for this project. Oh, and don't forget a thimble. I found "self-adhesive" finger pads called Thimble-It by Sailor at JoAnn Fabrics. For the price, they worked fine. You just use a new pad each time you sit down to knit. I started with a traditional thimble but it didn't fit well with my long nails and the thimble caused me to push too hard and I began slipping/dropping stitches. Not good when you have to try and pick up that size one black stitch.

Sorry you can't see the detail in the picture but this pattern is found in the book, One Skein, and can be done plain as I did or beaded.

Happy holiday knitting,

Kari

2 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Very nice Kari! I bet those were fun to knit. Our power was out for a couple of days and I really could have used Sonya's new light up needles! I know how you feel with that black yarn because I was doing dark green by oil lamp. Not a good combination! My kids were laughing at me because I put a hat on and tucked my little flashlight up under the brim so the light shined wherever I was looking. Hey! Whatever it takes to knit, right?!

Wed Nov 29, 03:04:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Kari Kelly said...

Those light up needles probably would help, in general, on those dark yarns. Good idea!

Thu Nov 30, 01:30:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home